Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the office hours?
2. Do I need an appointment to meet with a Career Advisor?
YES. Unless you stop by during walk-in hours, you will need to call (646) 312-1330 to schedule an appointment with an Advisor. At certain times of the year, Advisors' schedules become booked up for weeks in advance. Please be sure to schedule your appointment early. Note: Prior to meeting with a career Advisor, you must complete the Career Advising Intake Form (and bring it with you to your first appointment).
3. When am I eligible for on-campus recruiting (OCR)?
June and August Graduates are eligible in the Fall and Spring semesters prior to graduation (e.g. June 2010 grads are eligible in the Fall of 2009 and Spring of 2010).
January Graduates are eligible in the Fall semester prior to graduation and Spring semester after graduation (e.g. January 2010 grads are eligible in the Fall of 2009 and Spring of 2010)
4. What is the average starting salary for internships and/or full-time employment for my concentration?
Please click here for complete salary information, broken down by functional area.
5. When I apply to a job, do I need to send a cover letter along with my resume?
Check in the job description to see if a cover letter is required by the employer. Please use the GCMC's sample resumes and cover letters for guidance.
6. If I go on an interview and meet with more than one person, can I send a thank you letter to just one person and ask him to thank the rest for me?
It is always best to send an individual thank you letter to each person with whom you interview. Remember to request a business card from each person with whom you meet. This will make your follow-up easier.
7. Will the GCMC send student resumes directly to employers?
The Graduate Career Management Center will only submit student resumes to an employer that requests we do so. Typically, all employer contact information is provided with a job description and students are expected to submit their cover letter and resume directly to those organizations that interest them.
8. What are the enrollment requirements for the internship series?
Please click here for BUS 9800 series enrollment requirements.
9. What are the registration procedures for the internship series?
Please click here for the BUS 9800 series registration procedures.
10. Can international students work off-campus for pay?
YES. If international students are registered for the graduate internship course, then they can work off-campus for pay and credit. Please click here for internship information.
11. What if I am unable to keep my appointment?
To cancel an appointment, call the GCMC at 646.312.1330 or e-mail your career Advisor or email@example.com at least 24 hours in advance. If your appointment is scheduled on a Monday, you must cancel your appointment no later than the Friday prior at 3pm. You may leave a voicemail clearly indicating the date/time of your appointment session. Appointments cancelled on the day of the appointment will be treated as outlined in the "no show" policy.
Graduate Career Management Center
151 East 25th Street, Suite 820 NY, NY 10010 • 646.312.1330 • firstname.lastname@example.org