The MarkLab is where the academic discipline of marketing merges with professional marketing resources. The lab is a faculty-directed, student-run resource center that supports student learning in the areas of marketing, advertising, digital marketing, and marketing research.
The Lab prepares marketing undergraduate and graduate students for their careers leveraging strong relationships with business professionals as well as students and marketing faculty.
We accomplish our mission by enhancing information literacy and helping students gain practical experience in solving real-world problems with independent study projects, consulting classes and marketing competitions. Examples of the courses and workshops offered by the MarkLab are:
- Park Bench Marketing course. A consulting course where students get hands-on knowledge by working on real projects for real companies.
- Digital Marketing Boot Camp. A one-credit course co-taught by industry experts that introduces students to cutting edge topics in digital marketing.
- Real World Advertising. An advertising course taught by strategists at a leading ad agency, focusing on developing strategy for the execs’ real accounts.
- Free student workshops on software tools: Photoshop, Dreamweaver, HTML,…
- Industry panels and mini-conferences on current issues (Data analysis for marketing managers; the future of public relations; managing the agency-client relationship,…)
- Career fairs and networking forums to help students jumpstart their careers.
Over the years, using the resources of the Lab, our students have enjoyed considerable success in marketing competitions and have won more direct marketing awards than any other school in the country. Student teams have won awards in the Collegiate Echo Competition, a direct marketing competition sponsored by the Direct Marketing Educational Foundation and have also fared well in the National Student Advertising Competition, sponsored by the American Advertising Federation.
In May 2013, the Marketing Resource Lab was named the Jerome Pickholz Marketing Resource Lab.