Greenwashing: The Realities of Promoting Green Business Practices in the Corporate World
Apr 03, 2009
from 08:30 AM to 02:00 PM
|Where||Newman Conference Center, Room 7-50|
|Contact Name||Matthew LePere|
|Add event to calendar||
Read more about greenwashing on "Bite Marks," Bite Communication's Blog.
Greenwashing addressed issues including the following:
- What is the nature of greenwashing?
- What does it mean for a corporation to be green?
- How does the marketplace respond to claims that a corporation is green?
- Are corporations obligated to be green at all?
- Is being green good for shareholder value?
- What role should the government play in regulating greenwashing?
- Do we need an environmental version of Sarbanes-Oxley?
- What role should non-governmental organizations play?
8:30 – 9 am Registration and Continental Breakfast
9 – 9:45 am Little Green Lies of “Environmentally Friendly” Business
BEN ELGIN - Business Week, Investigative Reporter
9:45 – 11:15 am The Battle between Corporate PR Departments & NGOs
Moderated by BEN Elgin, Business Week
KENNY BRUNO, Corporate Ethics International
KERT DAVIES, Greenpeace USA
TONY HYNES, Bite Communications
ANA PAULA TAVARES, Rainforest Alliance
MATT ROSE, MWW Group
11:15 – 12:30 pm Regulating Greenwashing: Is a Greater Role for Government Necessary?
Moderated by David Rosenber, Baruch College
MARYA COTTEN, Baruch College
LEONARD GORDON, Federal Trade Commission
LARRY SCHNAPF, Schulte, Roth & Zabel LLP
12:30 – 1:15 pm Lunch
1:15 – 2 pm Implications for Corporate Strategy and Public Policy
Little Green Lies of “Environmentally Friendly” Business
- Little Green Lies of "Environmentally Friendly" Business PowerPoint Slides
- Little Green Lies, BusinessWeek, by Ben Elgin
- Kert Davies, Greenpeace USA, PowerPoint Slides
- Ana Paula Tavares, Rainforest Alliance, PowerPoint Slides
- Greenwashing: A Perfect Storm, Bite Communications Cleantech and Green Products Practice, by George Basile, Ph.D. and Kristina Skierka
- "Green" Talk Must Match Actions, PRWeek, by Matthew Rose
- Consumer Alert, Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
- Complying with the Environmental Marketing Guidelines, FTC
- Fast Facts for Consumers, FTC
- Understanding Eco Labels, Federal Electronics Challenge
- Environmental Disclosure Committee Newsletter, Vol 5, No 1, American Bar Association
- Six Sins of Greenwashing, TerraChoice Environmental Marketing Inc.
- Organic Labeling and Marketing Information, United States Department of Agriculture
- Implications for Corporate Strategy and Public Policy PowerPoint Slides
- Greenhouse Gas Reductions or Greenwashing?: The DOE's 1605(b) Program, by Eun-Hee Kim and Thomas Lyon, University of Michigan
- Greenwash: Corporate Environmental Disclosure Under Threat of Audit by Thomas Lyon, University of Michigan and John Maxwell, Indiana University