Fed Challenge Competition
The Federal Reserve Bank of New York has designated Baruch College as a participant in its rigorously competitive "Fed Challenge." Student teams from 25 highly selective colleges will compete for a total of over $90,000 of which almost $50,000 is set-aside for the students themselves. The competition is directed at the education of students in the formation of policy in the management of the nation’s money supply.
Student teams will research current economic events and present their findings and recommendations to a panel of professional economists and Federal Reserve officials acting as the Federal Open Market Committee. They will be judged on the quality of their presentation and their ability to effectively respond to questions from panel members.
The initial round of competition will be at the New York Federal Reserve Bank on November 7th and 17th. The winner in that competition will proceed to the National competition in Washington, D.C. at the Federal Reserve Boards headquarters on November 27th and 28th. The Baruch Economics and Finance Department is planning a preliminary training round among Baruch students in late October. Participation is encouraged among not only Economics and Finance majors, but all students interested in government policy formation.
Purpose of "Challenge" is educational.
Baruch will prepare a team of Baruch students to compete in this series of two part graded events.
- Part 1: A 20 minute formal presentation to a group of Judges from the Fed, Finance industry and faculty.
Part 2: A 15 minute Question/Answer period where the Judges interrogate the student presenters.
- Scoring to a maximum of fifty points. (10 points each)
- Understanding of Fed Monetary Policy and Macroeconomic theory
- Responses to judges questions
- Presentation skills
- Quality of Research
- Evidence of Teamwork
Program For Baruch Participation in the 2006 "Fed Challenge."
- August 1-September 15: Recruitment of Qualified Students.
- Economics and Finance Majors.
- Students in Money and Banking courses.
- Members of Investment Banking Club.
- Other volunteers.
- September 1 –30:
- Review Student Qualifications.
- Self selecting and guided team formations
- Maximum Five 3-5 man teams.
- October 13: Teams submit their Research and Preparation Plans.
- November 1. Baruch Inter-team Competition.
Students interested in participating in this challenging and rewarding competition should visit the New York Federal Reserve Bank's web site at http://www.newyorkfed.org/education/fedchallenge_college.html.
For more Information please contact Professor Parul Jain at Parul.Jain@Baruch.cuny.edu, or at extension 3471.