Baruch College Zicklin School of Business logo Zicklin Logo
Personal tools
ZSB Home » Academic Programs » Doctoral Programs » Admissions » Admission Requirements

Admission Requirements

Application Check List

  1. Completed application
  2. Official GMAT/GRE Score
  3. 2 Letter of Recommendations
  4. Curriculum Vita
  5. Personal Statement
  6. Writing Sample
  7. Application fee - $125
  8. Transcripts of all college work
  9. Request for Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019) and Declaration & Certification of Finances for International Students
  10. GMAT code: XWT-S7-47
  11. GRE code: 2113


Educational Background

The applicant must have earned an acceptable bachelor's or master's degree from an accredited institution whose requirements for the particular degree are substantially equivalent to those of the City University of New York.



The Ph.D. in Business program does not enforce a strict "minimum" score for applications. However, the average GMAT score of accepted applicants is 700. As in other programs, the higher your GMAT score, the more likely your chances of acceptance. The GMAT score is a critical part of the application process. Your application will be reviewed without it, but we will not be able to make any decision until we get an official score.

GMAT scores up to five years old can be accepted by the program. Beyond that, we cannot accept old test scores.

All test scores should be sent to The Graduate Center, college code XWT-S7-47, and not to Baruch College. If you accidentally sent your GMAT score to Baruch College, it must be resent by Educational Testing Services. Baruch does not save the official GMAT scores.

Questions about taking GMAT, please visit at


Though the program does not have a “cut off” GRE score, as in other programs, a GRE score before August 2011 for full time funded students is generally 1380 (V+Q). After August 2011 the minimum GRE score required is 315.

The GRE Code for the Graduate Center is 2113. GRE exams can be arranged by calling 1-800-GRE-CALL.


The Ph.D. in Business program does not enforce a strict "minimum" score for applications. however the average TOEFL score of accepted applicants is 650. Please be advised that English language proficiency is a very important part of the application process, and a low TOEFL score severely hinders your likelihood of acceptance.

Questions about taking the TOEFL please visit

Immunization Requirement

New York State law requires all students born on or after January 1, 1957, be immunized against measles, mumps, and rubella. Registration will not be permitted if a student does not comply with this regulation. Questions should be directed to the Office of Admissions, 212 817-7470, or the Wellness Center, 212 817-7020

International Students’ Requirements

International students must present authoritative evidence of sufficient competence in the English language to pursue a regular course of study at CUNY. It is required that applicants who have not studied in an English-speaking country take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), administered internationally by the Educational Testing Service, and request ETS to report examination results directly to the Office of Admissions, City University Graduate School-College Code 2113, 365 5th Avenue, New York, New York 10016. Inquiries concerning this examination may be made to Test of English as a Foreign Language, Box 6151, Princeton, New Jersey 08540, U.S.A., or to most American embassies and consulates in cities outside the United States.

International students who wish to obtain or maintain F-1 student visa status or J-1 exchange-visitor status may be admitted only as matriculated students. Immigration regulations require full-time enrollment in a degree-granting program for students in F-1 or J-1 status; therefore, students in F-1 or J-1 status may not be admitted as part-time or nondegree students. The only exception to this requirement applies to students who are sponsored by another United States educational institution while attending The Graduate School. Contact the Office of International Students regarding potential exceptions.

If an applicant has an immigration status other than F-1 or J-1, appropriate documentation must be provided to the Office of Admissions prior to admission. Applicants who will be applying for nonimmigrant F-1 or J-1 visas for entry into the United States and applicants in F-1 or J-1 student status already in the United States must complete the "Request for Certificate of Eligibility" (1-20 or IAP-66) and "Declaration & Certification of Finances for International Students." United States government regulations require documentary evidence of financial support for the duration of a proposed course of study prior to the issuance of the Certificate of Eligibility (Form 1-20 or IAP 66). This documentation may also be requested by United States consular officials upon application for an entry visa, by US Immigration Inspectors at ports of entry into the United States, or by Immigration inspectors when applications are made for extension of stay or change of status in the United States. Submit original documents in support of this application and prepare an additional set of original documents for support of visa applications.

University financial assistance for which international students are eligible to apply is extremely limited and is usually not adequate to fund a student's total expenses. Information about financial assistance is available elsewhere. Students are asked to review their financial situation carefully because the cost of living in New York City is high, and immigration regulations restrict employment. F-1 and J-1 students should not expect to finance their education through work in the United States.

There are two steps to follow in order to obtain or maintain F-1 or J-1 student status. One step involves your admission into the academic program of your choice. The second step is to document the amount and source(s) of your financial support. All questions regarding your academic admission should be directed to the Admissions Office.

All questions regarding your immigration status should be directed to the Office of International Students. Applicants who would like to change their status to F-1 or J-1 student status in the US, including applicants who may currently be in the US with B-2 status, should consult the Office of International Students for information on the correct procedure to follow.

Please note that you will not be eligible for employment authorization incident to F-1 or J-1 status (including employment pursuant to a financial aid award) until your request for change of status is approved by the Immigration and Naturalization Service. (Typically these requests require approximately 2 months to adjudicate.)

If you have more questions, please visit the Office of International Students.

The Office of International Students

The Graduate Center, The City University of New York
Room 7200
365 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10016


Statement of Nondiscrimination

The Graduate School and University Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action institution and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, alienage or citizenship, religion, race, color, national or ethnic origin, disability, or veteran or marital status in its student admissions, employment, access to programs, and administration of educational policies. In accordance with the requirements of Title IX of the Education Amendment Act of 1972 and the implementing federal regulations, The Graduate School and University Center maintains a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of gender in the operation of its educational programs and activities. Inquiries concerning Title IX may be directed to the Vice President for Student Affairs. The GSUC does not discriminate on the basis of disability in the admission or retention of students or the employment of faculty and staff.

cuny Logo cuny Logo
Baruch College/CUNY | Zicklin School Of Business | 646-312-1000 | Copyright © 2014
One Bernard Baruch Way, New York, NY 10010 ( 55 Lexington Avenue at East 24th Street, NYC )

FAQ | News | Events Listing | About This Website | Text Only