Executive MS in Finance
- gain the technical knowledge needed to understand current and new challenges in finance,
- learn to think strategically and make sound financial decisions, and
- communicate your views effectively and persuasively.
An MS degree in finance opens many doors. Recent EMSF graduates hold a wide range of key positions in the finance industry. Among these are VPs at leading financial firms, including:
- JP Morgan Chase
- Neuberger Berman
- Commerzbank AG
Others are portfolio managers in financial institutions and real estate firms, CFOs at non-financial firms, and still others are principals in entrepreneurial ventures. We are delighted at their success in leveraging their MS degrees into careers in finance.
- The EMSF program is highly focused, and all but a few of the 30 credits in the program are in finance.
- It is very concentrated, with just 11 months required to graduate.
- The courses are tailored to the program and carefully coordinated in sequence.
- Faculty members are hand-selected for their commitment and ability to ensure that students have meaningful and substantive learning experiences.
- Our distinguished finance faculty is ranked 45th worldwide in research, based on publications in journals of highest quality.
- Our adjunct faculty members include experienced, high-level practitioners.
- Students take the program in cohort fashion. This enables them to develop productive working relationships with each other and start forming long-lasting business networks.
- The Executive program is specifically designed to free students from academic administrative procedures and lets them concentrate on learning.
- Classes meet all day Saturday, usually from 8:30am to 5:30pm, and one evening per week from 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm so as not to interfere with a student's professional commitments.
International Study Tour
The capstone experience of the program is designed to challenge students to apply their knowledge of finance to developments in other nations through company visits. The tour is part of a course with academic credit, and there are preparatory sessions and readings before it, and presentations and discussions after it.
- This trip includes two destinations: students visit one relatively well-developed nation and another that is in an earlier stage of its economic development. In 2015, for example, the countries were Thailand and South Korea
- Students meet with senior executives from major corporations and visit corporate headquarters.
- The visit to a well-developed nation enables students to compare US institutions to those in a different cultural and legal environment.
- The visit to a nation in an earlier stage of development helps students understand the critical role that financial institutions and markets play in the process of real economic growth and development.
Overall, the trip helps students comprehend the role that financial institutions serve in achieving the goals of building better, safer and healthier lives for people across the planet.
The Admissions Process
Your decision about selecting an Executive MS in Finance program is one of the most important career decisions you will make. Evaluating the match between your individual qualifications and goals and what our program offers is a key part of your decision process. These are the basic qualifications:
- Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree (or foreign equivalent).
- In view of the quantitative nature of finance, they must have technical and quantitative skills. These skills may be acquired through prior academic coursework and relevant professional experience.
- They must have an understanding of the business environment and financial needs, and a minimum of five years of relevant experience.
To evaluate our program in view of your personal goals, start by attending an Information Session, a schedule of which is available on our website. At each session you will have a chance to talk one-on-one with the academic director and staff.
Once you have made the decision to apply, go to our Application Instructions page for more information.