MBA and MS students may be able to take internship credits to count towards their degree requirements. Additionally, students who receive an internship offer may be required to register for course credit through the Graduate Internship Course. Students on an F1 visa requiring Curricular Practicum Training (CPT) to work at an internship must register for the Graduate Internship Course. To confirm if you need to register, and if the credits will count towards your program, please consult an advisor.
The maximum number of internship credits that may be applied towards a degree is 3 credits (three one-credit courses: BUS 9801, 9802, & 9803 or BUS 9811, 9812, & 9813). However, if you have successfully completed these 3 internship courses, but are still finishing your degree and taking credit-bearing courses toward the completion of your degree, you may take a 4th internship course, BUS 9804 or BUS 9814, with the permission of the Academic Director by applying for the Graduate Internship Course a fourth time. A 4th internship credit cannot count towards your degree.
Registration for the internship course is a multi-step process:
- Review the Registering for Graduate Internship Course (CPT) – Instructions and FAQs document that can be found under Resources in Handshake. If you have trouble logging into Handshake, or cannot find the Registering for Graduate Internship Course (CPT) – Instructions and FAQs document, please contact the Graduate Career Management Center (GCMC) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit the required documentation posted in the Graduate Internship Course (CPT) Application to the GCMC for initial review and approval.
- If approved, the GCMC will send the Graduate Internship Course (CPT) Application to the Office of Graduate Programs for academic review and approval.
- If you are on an F-1 visa, the International Student Service Center (ISSC) will require the academic advisor’s recommendation form. You do not need to submit this form separately, as it is included in the Graduate Internship Course (CPT) Application. The Office of Graduate Programs will sign this form. You do not need to request a signature from an advisor.
- If approved, the Office of Graduate Programs will email you the Graduate Internship Course (CPT) Application with the required signatures. You will be registered for the respective internship course section and will receive instructions related to next steps for registration, payment, and ISSC approval (for students on an F-1 visa).