Weissman Center for International Business

Passports & Visas

Make sure you have a valid passport

Everyone who travels abroad requires a valid passport or travel document. If you do not already have a passport, now is a good time to get one. If you do have a passport, make certain that it is valid until at least six months after the end of your proposed study abroad program. There will also need to be at least one blank visa page in your passport for your student visa, if you require one. If you hold a different US travel document, make sure that you comply with all requirements. If you are a US citizen, please consult the Department of State website for full details about passport and travel document regulations. If you are not a US citizen, please contact the embassy of your country if you need a new passport.

Students with dual nationality

Students who hold dual nationality with the US and another country should normally enter and exit the US using their US passport.  In most cases, students should also use their US passport for entering and leaving the destination country as well. Please be sure to verify with consular officials of the destination country the regulations regarding dual citizens.

Non-US citizens

Non-US citizens, including international students in F-1 or J-1 status, may certainly study abroad. In some cases, you may be subject to more stringent visa requirements. Please consult the Embassy website of the country you plan to visit and check with your program sponsor or the Study Abroad Office.

If your immigration status is in flux (for example, if you are awaiting completion of the naturalization process, or a decision on an application for permanent residence status), please discuss your plans for studying abroad with the Director of Study Abroad.  If your current immigration status falls under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, you are encouraged to contact the CUNY Citizenship Now program and/or consult with an immigration attorney, and to discuss your plans with the Director of Study Abroad.


A visa is the permission granted to you that allows you to enter a foreign country for a specific reason. Some countries may also require visiting students to obtain a residence permit, which is the official permission to stay in the country for a specific length of time. Sometimes the two are bundled together in a single application, and sometimes the residence permit may be arranged after you arrive in the country. Whether you need a visa, and what kind, depends on the laws and policies of the host country or countries you will be visiting. Make sure that you check on all requirements far in advance of your planned stay.

Most semester study abroad students will need a student visa. Visa requirements vary from country to country, and regulations may change at any moment. Students who study abroad for a semester will nearly always be required to obtain a student visa, and students participating in short-term programs may as well, although some countries do not require special visas for US citizens on short term programs. If you do not hold a US passport, you are required to follow the procedures for the citizens of your country.

Visa Application

Whatever passport you hold, if you plan to study abroad you should consult information provided by the consular services section of the Embassy of the country in which you wish to study. The Study Abroad Office will help you obtain any official documentation you require from Baruch College regarding your visa application. The sponsor of your Study Abroad Program will assist you in applying for visas, so get in touch with them early and follow their instructions. You are responsible for knowing and fulfilling all procedures for obtaining any visas that are required to study abroad.

If you are studying on a Baruch exchange, the Associate Director of Study Abroad will contact you regarding your visa and assist you throughout the process, although it is still your responsibility to make sure you have completed the process  in sufficient time and obtained the appropriate visa and/or residence permit.