Weissman Center for International Business

Exchange Student Resources

If you are a student at one of Baruch’s partner universities and wish to study at Baruch as a visiting exchange student, you must apply through and be nominated by your home institution. Only students who are currently attending institutions that have exchange agreements with Baruch College are eligible to enroll at Baruch College as visiting exchange students. As an exchange student, you may take courses from across Baruch’s curriculum, work or intern up to 20 hours per week, and utilize all the services that are available to Baruch students.

Learn more about what awaits you at Baruch College:








Academic Culture in the United States and at Baruch College

Adapting to an unfamiliar academic culture can sometimes be difficult. We at the Weissman Center for International Business and the Baruch College Study Abroad Office hope to make your transition to Baruch as painless as possible. As exchange students you are in general entitled to the same “rights and privileges” as normal degree candidates, but that means that you are also subject to the academic and administrative regulations and policies in place at Baruch for all students. In addition, since you will only be attending Baruch College for a semester or academic year, there are some specific academic procedures that you are required to follow.

You can consult the Baruch College Bulletins for the detailed explanations of all academic policies governing Baruch students and information about student life at the College.

Exchange Student Application

General Information about completing the Application
  • The Baruch College Exchange Student Application is due no later than April 1 for the fall semester, and October 1 for the spring semester. The Application can be completed and submitted electronically.
  • The first three pages of the Application request biographical and academic information, and provide a place for you to compose your Statement of Purpose for studying at Baruch. Please make sure that you provide all information requested in this section. If you have a question about what is being asked for, please contact the Study Abroad Office (study.abroadxc@baruch.cuny.edu).
  •  We strongly recommend that you read these detailed instructions before you begin working on this section of your application, because doing so will help you avoid any errors that might delay work on your course permissions and registration.

Application Requirements

Student Status

Baruch College accepts exchange students at both the undergraduate and graduate (post-graduate) levels. At Baruch, an undergraduate is one who (normally) studies for four years after high school and then graduates with a “Bachelor’s” degree of Arts, Science, Business Administration, etc. A graduate student at U.S. universities is one who has already completed at least a bachelor’s degree, and may be studying for an M.B.A. (or other Master’s degree) or a Ph.D.

The degree programs at your home institution may not correspond exactly to those at Baruch. It is important for you to know whether you should register as an undergraduate or graduate exchange student while attending Baruch.

Undergraduate Students

If you have not yet completed a first degree at your home university, you should in most cases select “undergraduate” as your student status on your application. If you have already completed your first degree, or are enrolled in the equivalent of a Master’s program, you should normally select “graduate” as your student status. If you are unsure which category to choose, please note this when you submit your application. We will examine your academic record and advise you on which status you should choose.

Ordinarily, students who select “undergraduate” as their student status will only qualify to enroll in undergraduate courses, designated, with some minor exceptions, by the numbers 1001 through 4999. Generally speaking, the progressive numbering of undergraduate courses by thousands reflects an increase in the difficulty of the subject matter covered. For example, the course ECO 1001 is an introductory course in Micro-Economics, ECO 3100 is Intermediate Micro-Economics, and ECO 4100 is Advanced Micro-Economics.

Graduate Students

Anyone designated as a “post-graduate” student at her/his home university (i.e., anyone who has obtained a first degree) will normally study at Baruch as a graduate student, and will also normally wish to enroll in graduate-level courses at Baruch, which are designated by a course number of 9000+. For example, all the following courses are examples of graduate-level business courses: ECO 9723, FIN 9983, and MKT 9750. If you are in this category, you should select “graduate” as your student status  on your application.

It is sometimes possible for graduate exchange students to enroll in an undergraduate course, especially in an area outside their field (for example, if a graduate business student wanted to take an introductory course in U.S. politics or government). However, the Baruch Dean’s Offices will seldom if ever grant permission for an undergraduate exchange student to enroll in a graduate course. If you are a graduate student but may wish to take one or more undergraduate courses, please indicate “graduate student” as your student status and provide the Director of Study Abroad with the permission of your home institution to enroll in undergraduate courses.

Selecting Courses at Baruch

Your Application contains a Course Permission Form (see pp. 4-5). You will use this form to enter information about the courses and sections of courses you wish to take while studying at Baruch.

Course Registration

Courses and Classes
Course Permission
Finding Courses
Course Permission Form