Weissman Center for International Business

Financial Aid and Study Abroad

Financial Aid and Study Abroad

Financial aid such as Pell grants, TAP awards, the Excelsior Scholarship, and subsidized loans may be applied to approved study abroad experiences that award credit and that last for at least one semester. Short-term study abroad experiences, as well as non-academic internships, volunteer opportunities, etc., that do not award academic credit may not be eligible for financial aid.  For information about your eligibility for these grants and loans, and other important financial aid information, please consult the Baruch Office of Financial Aid Services.

If you do plan to apply for financial aid for study abroad, be sure to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as early as possible. You can obtain FAFSA packets at the Baruch Office of Financial Aid Services and online. If you have never applied for financial aid before, it is best to see an Advisor in the Baruch Financial Aid Office. A good place to start looking for sources of financial aid is The Financial Aid Information Page. For more general information about Financial Aid and Study Abroad please consult the (now somewhat outdated) NAFSA Handbook on Financial Aid for Study Abroad.

Most Baruch students who are eligible for financial aid will be able to use it to help finance their study abroad costs. However, whether and how you will be able to apply your financial aid to study abroad depends on a number of factors:

  • The kind of financial aid you receive.
  • The type and duration of your study abroad program.
  • The course(s) you choose to take while studying abroad.
What types of financial aid are available for Study Abroad?
How does the type of study abroad program I attend affect whether and how I may use my financial aid?
How do the courses I choose to take abroad affect my eligibility to use my financial aid?
Special Requirements for using TAP or Excelsior Aid
What do I need to do now?