Dear Zicklin Community,
We hope you are managing well despite these challenging times.
We wanted to update you on the progress made thus far by the Zicklin Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Task Force. Since its formation on June 29, the Task Force has engaged in serious conversations about ways to combat racial inequity and improve our ability to incorporate a racially literate lens into the Zicklin community. We have accomplished the following:
- Faculty and staff have received professional development training from the nonprofit group Pollyanna Inc., helping us to enhance our cultural competencies and better understand the impact of race at the Zicklin School
- Faculty also completed a seminar in inclusive pedagogy, led by the Bernard L. Schwartz Communication Institute at Baruch College. The training was designed to help professors develop new teaching materials, classroom strategies, and a community of colleagues invested in creating and supporting a School-wide culture of equity, inclusion, diversity, and learning for all.
- At the fall 2020 undergraduate orientation, students attended a DEI session led by Monarch Productions, a unique DEI consulting firm that uses humor to inspire, motivate, and strengthen community connections.
- The Full-Time MBA student orientation included a DEI workshop that was facilitated by a seasoned chief diversity officer who is an expert in diversity recruitment and retention in both academic and professional settings.
- On the doctoral level, our partnership with the PhD Project Research Symposium continues. Next spring, African-American, Latinx, and Native American doctoral candidates from non-CUNY institutions will have the opportunity to receive feedback on their dissertations from Zicklin professors. This will also give our faculty the chance to widen their network of possible candidates to consider when hiring at the Zicklin School.
Our continued conversations around diversity, equity, and inclusion will help the Zicklin community learn, grow, and strengthen our bonds.
We look forward to updating you further in the weeks to come.
Paquita Davis-Friday, Senior Associate Dean, Co-Chair
Larry Zicklin (BBA ’57), Co-Chair
Task Force Mission
Task Force Members